Today is World Environment Day. Individuals, groups, nations, continents are all taking initiatives to contribute their bit towards the global target of replenishing the natural resources that are fast being depleted. United Nations agenda for this year’s World Environment Day is Sustainable Living.
What exactly is Sustainable Living?
Of late we have all heard of this word sustainable living. Corporate houses, NGO’s and other associations are fast propagating the importance of sustainable living. We relate sustainable living to using resources in such a manner that they are replenished for the future generations.
Corporate Social responsibility became order of the day by the early 2000. Various sectors of the society which were deeply involved in activities related to human rights, environment, animal rights, climate change etc raising brows on the activities of the corporate houses which led the change and brought about the concept of social responsibility in the corporate world too. This led to corporate houses paying dearly as issues like child labor, odd working conditions, odd working hours, low salaries, etc brought the activities of the organization under strict and close scanner as media keeps a close vigil on the activities of the organizations.
Leading MNC’s involved in corporate social responsibility
- Apple has a unique approach of selecting the right suppliers depending on the credibility of the suppliers. Apple joins hands with only those suppliers who are involved in CSR corporate social activities.
- Coca cola launched an initiative with the name ‘live positively’ wherein it undertook initiatives to reduce the carbon emissions
- Walmart’s effort in helping customers ‘Save and Live well’ for Corporate Social Responsibility
- Canon adopted the ‘recycling’ approach towards ensuring sustainable living
How can you give in your contribution in the little ways:
- Until and unless necessary DO NOT take out the print outs from the ATMS
- Remember to switch off your pc and not just log off before leaving for the day
- Reduce the temperature of the air conditioners to a certain level so that the cooling just optimum
- Remember to plant one tree on your birthday, your anniversary or your child’s birthday.
- Utilizing the terrace for ‘green roofing’. Not only will green roofing help develop beautify the landscape of the city but will also help cool down the overall temperature.
But charity begins at home. We should develop the habit of saving electricity at homes, inculcating the habit of saving water among the kids and first of all the change will begin from the mindset. We need to sit and think that if we keep neglecting the amount and rate at which we are consuming the non renewable natural resources our kids will have tough time facing the scenario.